Legal Question in Legal Ethics in District of Columbia

e-mail slander

I spoke with my boss about a problem that I was correcting with an outside company. He sent an e-mail to a third party that made me look totally incompetent. The contents of the e-mail were not what i told him. How can I salvage my reputation and is there legal action I can take against him?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Re: e-mail slander

The approach that you've suggested under these facts is probably the wrong one for you take, at least initially.

The better one would likely be for you to request a conference with your boss to discuss the matter and to present your side of the issue, and, then, to request that he send a followup email to correct whatever misinformation may have been communicated in this email regarding your competence and whatever else that you may have found found offensive as well as inaccurate.

And, if the boss refuses, and you continue to believe that your repuation has been substantially damaged, particularly in regard to your job competence, you may wish to schedule a conference with a lawyer who knows something about the requirements for proving defamation in the Commonwealth and damages that might be reasonably sought therefrom.

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in District of Columbia