Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

is there any kind of contract under florida law that provide commitment between boyfriend and girlfriend?

Asked on 7/30/12, 2:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dawn Marie Bates-Buchanan Bates-Buchanan & Savitsky Law Group, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Two people can contract with one another in any type of agreement, from purchasing a home, to having a joint bank account etc. However they are enforced under contract law, which means that there has to be a writting, there has to be consideration, and a promise. There are often Palimony Agreement and other such type contracts and yes Florida will enforce a contract. However, that does not give rise for a boyfriend or girlfriend to gain things like spousal support, or the right to "marital" property or other things that specifically are established within the bond of matrimony. If a boyfriend and girlfriend have a child, that child is still born outside of the marriage and Paternity would have to be estbalished, even if was only both parties agreeing. Hope this helps.

Read more
Answered on 7/30/12, 4:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now