Florida  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/27/12, 12:24 pm

I married a man in 1991 who told me he was divorced. We moved to Saudia Arabia and after 4 years in the middle of a dispute he informs me our marriage isn't leagle because he was still married to his first wife when we got married (Texas). Found out the divorce was final one week after our marriage (In California). He has since remarried another woman and kives in Texas. I tried to file for widows SS benefits on my late husband and was told that we ARE still married. I have asked him to straighten this out as he is the one who caused this mess. FL dosn't have an annulemnt statute and Tx is not allowed after one year of dated of marriage. What do I do now? I am a FL resident.

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/28/12, 6:17 am by Lucreita Becude

There are several options. 1. purchase the divorce package yourself $25.00 and fill out the paperwork and have him consent. 2. file fraudulent charges against this guy - ie bigamy. I suggest you talk with a family law attorney. If you need widow benefits - then you need to sue him while he lives in the United States.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Lucreita D. Becude, P.A. 12469 Antler Hill Drive, N Jacksonville, FL 32224

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search