Florida  |  Insurance Law

my Mother in law was married for many years. During that time they took out life insurance policies. When they divorced; they remained close and he never wanted the policy changed. She was listed as the beneficiary. The insurance company says theat they will not honor the policy because they were no longer married. Does she have any grounds to contest? If so how would she go about doing that?

Answered on: 6/17/13, 12:28 pm by Barry Stein

You need to take the policy to an attorney and allow them to review it. Just because they divorced the policy should not be voided UNLESS it provides for the spouse to the be the beneficiary. Don't deal with the insurance company by phone. All communication should be in writing.

De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary 25 SE 2nd Avenue Suite 425 Miami, FL 33131

Answered on: 6/17/13, 2:18 pm by J. P. Gonzalez-Sirgo

A recently passed statute (F.S.A. 732.703) is probably the basis for the insurance company denying your claim. I am currently handling other claims with this issue. If you would like a free consultation, please call me at (866) 71-CLAIM.

J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo, P.A. 804 S. Douglas Road Ste 373 Coral Gables, FL 33134

Answered on: 6/19/13, 9:44 am by Michael Tobin

The laws of each state are different. Also, different rules are controlling if the policy is a group by ERISA laws. We need to review the policy and the company denial letter.

Michael M. Tobin, P.A. 9400 South Dadeland Blvd. Penthouse 5 Miami, FL 33156