Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Florida

Hello,

I moved out of a house on August 2nd. Since I moved out I have not heard from my landlords at, is there any certain day I should be receiving a security deposit or deductions if it has any? If I do not hear anything by that day what should I do? 

Also, our utilities were done through our landlord and we would just mail them checks, usually we got them the 4th and had till the 11th to pay them. This time however we did not get it till the 23rd and it was not a psychical bill but done through word of mouth from another tenant. In the past I've insisted on having a bill emailed to me. I have attempted to call my landlord three times in the last four days and the last time left a voicemail asking her to call me back so I can ask her for a copy of it since I was told it was three times the amount than it usually is. What should I do if she continues not to answer me? Can I get charged with a late fee since I haven't paid it yet?

Byron Petersen Byron G. Petersen P.A.

From Byron Petersen:

This will answer your security deposit questions: 1377612147/**http://www.floridalandlord.com/security_deposits.html

As to Utilities, you are not obligated to pay without an invoice, properly pro-rated. Though there is a slight possibility-very slight- that your lease may say otherwise. I would be surprised if it did.

Assuming your lease agreement does not cover utilities; the landlord has no right to impose any type of late fee related to utilities.

If there is any dispute over additional rent after you moved out your question does not provide enough information to answer.

Good Luck Byron Petersen

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

I would wait for the 30 days to expire and stop calling. If there is no properly imposed lien, then seek return of your security deposit. As for any bills, I agree you need actual bills to pay then not word of mouth. I would deal with your landlord in writing from this point forward. I would hire an attorney to pursue the security deposit if no lien is properly imposed.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Florida

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms