Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Florida

A year ago I co-signed on a vehicle with my son, who is in the Army. It is registered in Alabama and he is stationed in Texas. Recently he decided he couldnít afford it anymore and sold it to someone who was getting out of the Army and returning home to Florida. Their agreement was that he would send my son the money for the payments and when he got a job and could get a loan they would complete the sale. To protect myself, I want to go get the vehicle. I called the county sheriff in Florida where itís located to see if they could escort me and was told I could not get the vehicle without pursuing it legally as a civil matter. Is their contract legal? How should I proceed?

Alan Wagner Wagner, Vaughan & McLaughlin, P.A.

You only cosigned on the loan, at least that is what it sounds like. If so, you have no rights to the car.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Florida