Legal Question in Tax Law in Florida

i owe federalback taxes for numerous years dating back 12 years. what can i do to keep the irs from taking my wages if i get a job? can i file bancrupcy on them? how do i stop the penaltys and interest?

Asked on 3/02/10, 6:18 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Alan Wagner Wagner, Vaughan & McLaughlin, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Bankrupcy will not protect ou.Contact the IRS and work out the debt or a lawyer to do that for you,.

Read more
Answered on 3/07/10, 10:32 am
Steven Klitzner Steven N. Klitzner, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. If you work out a resolution, they will not levy your wages. Examples include an Installment Agreement or an Offer in Compromise. In your case, the 10 year Statute of Limitations may wipe out the old years.

2. Bankruptcy can be used to discharge your taxes. It depends on how long ago the returns were filed.

3. Penalties max out after 4 years. Interest never stops.

Like most IRS problems, I would need to know all of the information before I can give you a specific solution to your case.

Feel free to call or email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions. Please reference the fact that you are following up to my response at LawGuru so my staff makes sure that I get it.

Read more
Answered on 3/07/10, 3:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now