Florida  |  Wills and Trusts

I live in Florida and have custody of my grandson. Two years ago he lost his paternal grandmother and a wrongful death suit was filed. The paternal grandfather contacted me a year ago to advise me that my grandson would have something comeing to him. I was asked to sign a standard document giving the grandfather the right to represent my grandson. I signed the document giving him authorization.

I knew that the lawsuit was scheduled to be resolved by end of September 2011. I have made several attempts to contact him but have no luck in him responding.

I have recently found out that there was a substantial settlement in June of last year but was not made aware of it. I am not sure how much if any my grandson is entitiled to.

If he is entitled to something I would like to have it invested for his future as he is only six years old. The grandfather has a very sordid past and has a history of comingling funds.

Do I have any rights as my grandson's legal guardian? There was no Will. However, I am confused that if I signed something giving him representation, does that give him authority to not notify me and to also keep the funds to do as he sees fit?