Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

I live in Florida and have custody of my grandson. Two years ago he lost his paternal grandmother and a wrongful death suit was filed. The paternal grandfather contacted me a year ago to advise me that my grandson would have something comeing to him. I was asked to sign a standard document giving the grandfather the right to represent my grandson. I signed the document giving him authorization.

I knew that the lawsuit was scheduled to be resolved by end of September 2011. I have made several attempts to contact him but have no luck in him responding.

I have recently found out that there was a substantial settlement in June of last year but was not made aware of it. I am not sure how much if any my grandson is entitiled to.

If he is entitled to something I would like to have it invested for his future as he is only six years old. The grandfather has a very sordid past and has a history of comingling funds.

Do I have any rights as my grandson's legal guardian? There was no Will. However, I am confused that if I signed something giving him representation, does that give him authority to not notify me and to also keep the funds to do as he sees fit?

Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.

YOu may have signed the wrong thing. contact the insurance company and find out what the settlement was. I am sure he had an attorney to represent him in this - contact the attorney and find out if there was an account opened for your grandson. If your grandson received over $15K, an account would have to be established for him. If you gave the grandfather rights, then he probably has the account and is the guardian over it.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida

Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA