Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

I am the sole beneficiary and executrix of my brother's estate which is comprised of real estate,stocks and bank accounts. Could you tell me if I must go through a lawyer and probate the will in order to transfer the assets to my name. If so, how much would the whole procedure cost including the gov't taxes. I realize that you may not be able to give me a specific amount but at least tell me the maximum it will cost in $ or % amount. I am a US citizen. The estate might be valued about 21/2 million TT

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Probate requires an attorney in Florida. Fees run from 3-6% of the gross estate plus court expenses depending upon amount of work involved. Good luck.

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

You can get a probate attorney who will do the matter on an hourly rate as well and if not problems, that can keep the costs below 3-6%. I was the personal representative on an Estate of a similar size and paid less.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida