Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

I am a stockholder in a Michigan S corporation. It is a small family corporation (2 siblings). The corporation owns timber land and some recreational land. I am a permanent resident of Florida. Upon my death, will my estate have to be probated in Michigan as well as FL ? ( I've read that a person who owns property in another state may have to go thru probate in that state-- but in this case, the corp owns the property) I know a TRUST would eliminate FL probate; would it also eliminate Michigan probate? Thank YOU!

Asked on 11/10/13, 8:06 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No, since you do not own the real property in Mich.

Read more
Answered on 11/10/13, 8:41 am
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Just make sure you designate someone to inherit your stock in the corporation. You can do this now by adding a right of survivorship clause (e.g., JTWROS, Joint Tenancy with Right of Survivorship) to the stock. This will avoid probate, even in Florida without a Trust.

Read more
Answered on 11/10/13, 9:27 am
Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

All good answers, but I would also suggest you speak to a Michigan attorney.

Read more
Answered on 11/10/13, 10:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now