Legal Question in Consumer Law in Georgia

I made an appointment for an alternative medicine specialist recommended to me by my current Dr, I had to reschedule once due to time constraints. Documents that were supposed to be filled out were sent to me almost two weeks to my actual appointment, unfortunately I never read/started filling out the documents until the day of my appointment, thats when I realized that they do not file for insurance reimbursement through my insurance company, since I am currently doing that with the pharmacy through which all my current Drs prescriptions are referred, I am quite honestly cash strapped and I immediately called the office to let them know, the receptionist seemed simpathetic and said she would talk to the Dr. Shortly after this conversation I received an email that I was charged for $150.00 as a cancellation fee....I called the receptionist back and told her that not only was I under the impression that I would not be charged but that even their paperwork cites a cancellation fee of $100, she replied that that was old paperwork and she would refund me the $50..my question is since they never mentioned that they do not file insurance paperwork verbally and I never signed a contract, how obligated am I to pay this $100.00?

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

You should never assume the physician will file the insurance paperwork for you, and that is a separate issue. As far as the cancellation fee, it was in the paperwork you received two weeks prior to the appointment. You did not tell us exactly what the terms are about cancellation (such as 24 hours notice), but if you waited until that day to cancel, knowing of the fee, you should expect a bill.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Georgia

Consumer Law Legal Forms