Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Georgia

I am being sued for a credit card debt that is not mine. I received several letters from various attorneys notifying me that I was being sued and offering to help me file bankruptcy. I chose not to. The sheriff tried to serve me twice when I was not home. On the third time my sister, who does live with me, got the papers while I was out of town. When I returned, my sister did not tell me about the papers. About a month ago I received a letter from the court saying that the plaintiffs motion for default judgment was denied and ordering me to appear for trial. At the hearing the attorney offered a settlement, which I refused because I knew that I could win on the merit of the case and believed that I would be able to present a case. The hearing was simply a default judgment hearing to establish damages. The judge called the plaintiff's attorney forward without calling me apparently due to the fact that because it was a default case, she assumed I was not there. The plaintiff's attorney stated that he did not have any evidence and that he needed more time. The judge granted a continuance for thirty days. If I had been able to speak I would have opposed this. I know that I can win if able to present a case. Would the law allow me to get the default judgment thrown out, and present my case as if the time for an answer had not expired since I did not get the paperwork from my sister? I believe she would be willing to testify if needed.

Asked on 5/17/13, 12:36 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The simple and harsh answer is this - if you continue to choose to try to fumble through it without a lawyer, you will probably continue to lose. Had you contacted a lawyer immediately, you may have had a much better chance at winning. This is especially true if the debt really is not yours and you end up owing more than you would have paid a lawyer. As it is now, you lost the case and the only issue is the amount of the judgment. Just by showing up on Court, you may have waived rights to contest the initial default - something a lawyer would have explained.

Read more
Answered on 5/17/13, 12:52 pm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You do not indicate when any of this occurred. There are time limits. See a lawyer and determine whether grounds exist to file a motion to open. You generally have to show: (a) that your failure to answer was not your fault; (2) and that you acted promptly upon learning about the judgment; (3) that you have a meritorious defense (you can prove that this is not your debt because you were the victim of identity fraud/theft or they got the wrong debtor); and that you have (4) just cause (i.e. a good excuse - this incorporates the other 3 elements).

You will have a very heavy burden though if you do not seek help from a litigation attorney specializing in defense of credit card debts.

Read more
Answered on 5/17/13, 3:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now