Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia


I am a single mother recently married. My husband would like to adopt my 13 year old. There is no father listed on the birth certificate. I was told that in the state of Ga, a teen could decide for themselves. We just have to have a parallegal type the papers stating that fact and submit them. Is this true? Will I have a problem with parental consent with no name on the birth certificate? We really need help. We're way too poor to afford a lawyer or pay a lot of money for anything. My daughter has had a lot of heartache in her short life, and my husband loves her dearly. This is something that she really needs and wants. She has never had a father or even a father figure in her life. The past 4 years have been great for her. But now she would like it to be leagal and have our last name. If adoption is too exspensive, is a name change something we should consider as an alternative? We really could use your advice.

Asked on 2/09/05, 2:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Adoption

It is a crime for a paralegal to practice law and prepare your papers. DO NOT DO THIS. And no, it is NOT up to the 13 year old child.

There is no family law matter more complex than adoption. Even the slightest error will get it rejected, so you have to have a lawyer. Only about 1% of lawyers have adoption experience.

Depending on the facts, a name change may be an option, and we always discuss that with our clients.

If you're in the Atlanta area you may want to schedule a consultation. Our number is 404-768-3509.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/05, 7:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now