Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Child Abandonment

In the state of Georgia, what is the time period in which abandonment is acknowledged by the courts?

I have custody of my 11 year old daughter and her mother has not contacted me or my daughter since late april. She has also not paid her court ordered child support in over a year, and has failed to appear at her last court hearing.

I am wondering what point I can pottetion the court to reverse revoke her perental rights?

Asked on 9/10/07, 8:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child Abandonment

Courts do not terminate parental rights for nonpayment of support. That would stop support, and if you seek that, you will almost always fail unless there is child abuse or a pending adoption of the child.

You could take out a criminal abandonment warrant to have her jailed if she fails to pay support.

Read more
Answered on 9/10/07, 8:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now