Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

How to get custody of grandson in Georgia without lawyer?

Asked on 1/25/12, 8:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

First of all, the answer is your chances without a lawyer are about the same as the chances of a snowball in Hades. Pro se custody cases usually go badly. Pro se grandparent cases tend to be disasters for the grandparents.

Over the years the US Supreme Court and Georgia Supreme Court have made it very clear that grandparents have few legal rights as to grandchildren, and that, except it rare extreme circumstances, both parents win in contests with grandparents.

If your grandchildren actually matter, and you feel you have a very unusual case (generally one where both parents abandon the children or abuse the children) that may give you a strong case, you start by abandoning the idea that a pro se case is a workable plan. You pay for and get an experienced attorney to tell you if a filing has a chance, and, if it does, you use the lawyer in the case.

Even if the parents help and consent, if the grandchildren matter, you still want a lawyer to get it right.

Read more
Answered on 1/25/12, 9:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now