Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I have a legal question that I need answered, but I need to know if you really answer legal questions for free. I only have $5.34 to my name and can afford to pay to pay to have the question answered. If you can't answer my question for free then can you refer me to some kind of law hotline that can answer my question for free.

My boyfriend and I have a 6 month old baby girl and the situation between him and I are bad and I would like to move back to Pennsylvania where we both are from and be near family. I just need to know if I am able to leave the state of Georgia with my daughter since my boyfriend and I are not married. I have spoken to his family and mine and they both are on my side and are willing to come and help me move back home. My daughter comes first and I can't keep her in this situation.

Asked on 12/15/12, 7:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Unless the father has legitimized the child, he has no say in you moving with the child and no rights to the child, so yes, you can move.

Be aware that if he finds out that you plan to move before you do, he might file such a case and a court THEN could bar you moving, so you would not want to tell him in advance. For the first six months after a move, he could seek legitimization and custody here in Georgia.

Be aware that you may need legal counsel later.

Read more
Answered on 12/15/12, 3:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now