Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

my son's father has recently passed away. he was not on my son's birth certificate as we thought we had more time to do this. my question is this: how would i go about changing this legally? i want to change my son's name legally as well as his birth certificate, my son's father had told me he was divorced and yet upon his death i found that he was still married. so how do i go about doing this. i reside in georgia. please help me.

Asked on 10/17/10, 8:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There is no provision in Georgia law to add a deceased person to a birth certificate.

And while you, with a lawyer, may be able to change the child's name, why would you want a different last name than the child?

Read more
Answered on 10/22/10, 9:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now