Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Spend the Night Company

My ex-wife and I have joing custody in Georgia...we do not have anything in our divorce about having overnight guests..but she now doesn't want my children spending the night when my new girlfriend is spending the night. She says it's illegal to do so..is this true? I'm thinking about moving in with my girlfriend, will my kids legally be allowed to spend the night there with me?

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Re: Spend the Night Company

Bear in mind that under Georgia law any sex between two unmarried people is a crime.

It depends on the judge, but overnight guests and live-in relationships can cause someone to lose custody or visitation rights, so if you plan on a permanent relationship, marriage is a far safer answer.

Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law

Re: Spend the Night Company

There may be a problem, depending what is done in front of the children. Consult with a local attorney about how your local judges are likely to rule in this situation.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia