Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Georgia

I bought a 1998 motorcycle that did not have a title but I had the vin checked at my local Sherriffs dept. it came back clean. I then trade the motorcycle to a guy for a truck. He signed over the title for the truck to me and I gave him the bill o sale where I bought the motorcycle and I gave him a copy of the Sherriffs dept printout stating the bike was clean. He also had the vin checked by his Sherriffs dept and it was clean. 1 month later I got a call from his Sherriffs dept and said the bike had been reported stolen in 1999 so the bike was 1 year old when reported stolen and that was 13 years ago. The Sherriff said I did the right thing by getting the vin checked and the reason it showed up clean was because it had been reported stolen over 5 years ago. Now the guy wants me to give him the truck back or $2000, or he will take me to court. The way I see it, it's bad luck on his part. Does he have a leg to stand on?

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

You may find that selling stolen property, and selling a vehicle without being able to provide a clear title (stolen or not), is bad luck on your part. You can either work it out with him, or risk a lawsuit.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Georgia