Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I can't afford a lawyer but my wife can because I was a stay at home dad. Our first court date ( for a contested divirce) is next week and I was wondering if I can ask for a continuation until I can afford legal representation and if so what ate odds judge will allow it?

Asked on 4/05/13, 12:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

"Until"? No. A court may give you 10-30 days, but that's about it. The court may also tell you that you should contact the local bar association for a lawyer referral, or to contact a legal clinic, but in the end the case will proceed because your rights are not the only ones involved.

Read more
Answered on 4/07/13, 8:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now