Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Illinois

In a civil lawsuit in IL involving a foreign company operating in the USA, the defendant has returned SOME requests for discovery and answers to questions written in their native foreign language.

Is the defendant allowed to do this?

The lawsuit relates to matters they conducted with me in English. They are fully able to conduct their business in both written and spoken English. I believe they are hiding key facts by, selectively, not using English.


Asked on 4/21/13, 3:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Chen Kasher Chen Kasher
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Is this lawsuit pending in state or federal court? Federal judges tend to be less tolerant of discovery games, and are more likely to sanction them for this sort of misconduct.

I've never heard of any party responding to discovery requests in their native language. Presumably, they hired an Illinois licensed attorney to defend them. I'd contact this counsel and ask if his client can respond in English. You can call this your attempt to "meet and confer." If he isn't willing to provide you with valid English language responses or an admissible translation, I'd move to strike and note that you tried to reconcile things with their counsel.

I'd also check if the responses are verified. If they're not, that's an easy way to strike them and ask the court for relief in the form of verified answers in English.

Read more
Answered on 5/07/13, 6:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now