Legal Question in Immigration Law in Illinois

My Initial OPT was expired in JAN 2013 and Application for STEM OPT got DENIED recently MY H-1B is approved.I am currenly working.

What are my Options now:

Do I qualify for Cap-Gap

Can I legally stay in U.S if I don't have my work permit as my H1-B is approved and will start from OCT-1-2013.

Please let me know asap.

I will really appreciate your quick response.


Asked on 5/19/13, 7:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Although you should be asking these questions to the Attorney who filed the H-1B on behalf of your prospective H-1B employer, I can tell you that you are covered by the "cap-gap" & can remain here legally. However, since your OPT expired in January & your extension was denied, you should not be working, The DSO at your school, as well as your prospective employer's Attorney, should have discussed this with you. If not, I highly recommend that you speak with them both at this time.

Read more
5/20/13, 1:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88177 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
David SlaterDavid P. Slater, Esq.Boca Raton, FL
Phillip D. Wheeler, Esq.Phillip D. Wheeler, Attorney At LawMorro Bay, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now