Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

I have been paying the loan on a property for 7 years. I recently got married. How do I handle the deed and loan so that if anything happened to me my land would go to my daughter and not my husband?

Asked on 9/06/13, 3:39 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Discuss an estate plan, such as a will, land trust, and/or living trust, with an attorney experienced in such planning.

Read more
Answered on 9/07/13, 5:07 am
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I agree with Mr. Repay. In addition, while the home would be considered "non-marital property" today and thus not subject to some kind of division of rights in case of a divorce, over time it can wind up being something that your husband could claim interests to. While these are conversations that should take place prior to marriage, it is never too late if your primary goal is protecting your daughter.

Read more
Answered on 9/07/13, 9:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now