Legal Question in Tax Law in Illinois

This is regarding municpal law. I recieved my utilities bill for water, sewer and garbage. The village where I live charges 65% of my water bill to figure out the sewer bill. About a year ago the village implemented a capital improvement fee for a well they are building. When I questioned the city administrator about the bill she stated the combine the water usage portion with the capital improvement fee. They take 65% of that total now to figure sewer. I would like to know the legalities of this. To me this is wrong. I am not questioning the improvement fee however they are also getting 65% of the fee as well. What are your thoughts?

65% is just an estimate because the village is supposed to break out these costs when the reality is that the water and sewer is probably under one budget, and doesn't really reflect true cost. When you say "administrator" do you mean clerk? You should feel free to talk to the finance director, or manager, or whoever you feel finally gives you a straight answer before thinking you're being taken. When you do you may find that this was a way of avoiding a property tax special assessment.

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Illinois

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms