Legal Question in Business Law in Indiana

tax information

If a person babysits in their home and does not turn that money in on their taxes are they breaking any laws? If they are breaking any laws and someone turned them into the IRS what could happen to them?

Asked on 4/08/04, 6:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: tax information

Babysitting income must be reported on state and federal tax returns, the same as any other earned income. Failing to report income is a state and federal criminal offense. However, the IRS usually handles the failure to report as a civil matter, meaning they will assess monetary penalties, because they prefer to have the taxpayer's money rather than his carcass. A taxpayer who voluntarily reports prior year income will be greeted with the injunction to go and sin no more. There are many deductions that apply to a business, so the income won't be nearly as much as the total amount of babysitting fees.

Read more
Answered on 4/09/04, 10:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Indiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Business Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now