Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Indiana

I am selling a saddle to a friend. She currently has and is using the saddle. So far she has only given me one check in the amount of $600 and still owes me about $500. We agreed she would make payments to me when she has the money. Can I cash this check now? My husband thinks if I do it negates our agreement and she doesn't have to pay me anything else for the saddle.

Asked on 10/24/13, 5:56 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should avoid cashing the check only if the check says "full payment" or "payment in full" or the equivalent. You should still have your agreement written somewhere, however, to prove it should there be a dispute.

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 6:00 am
Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Play it safe. Put the agreement in writing with the $600 as a down payment.

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 6:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Indiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now