Kansas  |  Business Law

Partnership Gone Bad

In June of 2002 a friend and I agreed to purchase a percentage of an exsisting business. We are located in Kansas and the business is located in another state. The transaction took place through the mail and physically in Kansas. We remained in Kansas and worked from here.

In September we discovered the books and numbers had been cooked. The gentleman was also running an illegal raffle nationwide on the internet under the company name in addition to various other issues.

We confronted him in September and in early October he agreed to re-pay us our money on November 1st. We never received payment. Today we received a letter stating he was now sueing us for slander.

Do we need to pursue the matter in the state the business is located or can we handle in Kansas? Do we need to notify the Attorney General about the raffle we have discovered is illegal? Can we freeze the company assets until the issue is resolved? Any other suggestions?

I have kept documentation of almost everything.

Thanks