Kansas  |  Civil Litigation

We hired a friend to babysit for 5 days over the memorial holiday! No discussion took place

verbally or in writing regarding the amount she was to be paid! We have always paid what

we thought was fair. She had them all day Sun & Mon, then tues thr thur she took them to

daycare for appx 10 hrs per day and the she went to work! The babysitting was done in my home the entire time (it was 2 minutes from the daycare and would save her money on gas), and we provided all food! I provided her access to my wireless internet while she was there as well. She is not licensed or register or a professional as is the case with the daycare. This was for 2 boys 6 & 11 years of age. Daycare charges us $215.00 per week for both boys. We paid her $200.00 for the week and she left (we had used her a year ago for 5 days and paid 250 because she took off work 1 day to take care of a sick child of her on accord and did not utilize the emergency backup we provided her...she was happy then!). Next day, she is sending us nasty text messages because she was happy with the amount. States now she want at $400 and not a penny less or she will take us to small claims court for $8.50 per hr (much more)! I checked with the NACCRRA (national association of child care resource and referral agencies) of which does an analysis of avg daycare cost for Kansas and it indicates the avg is around $105.00 per week. Doodledays childcare also did an analysis reflecting 15.45 per day. My licensed Daycare stated $200.00 was a perfectly reasonable payment for her services! There has never been an type of prior agreement on what she would be paid at any time. Does she have a legal leg to stand on? My opinion, she is trying to extort money from us.