Legal Question in Immigration Law in Kentucky

How does sponsoring a non us citizen work and what's the risks if there are any?

Asked on 5/29/13, 5:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you are a U.S. citizen (or, in some cases, a Legal Permanent Resident), you can only "sponsor" a parent, child, spouse or sibling. I don't really see any "risks", other than you have to file an Affidavit of Support, promising that you will financially support the immigrant you petition for, so that they do not apply for any "means-tested" benefits.

For more information, I highly recommend you peruse the USCIS website at, or you can also obtain some information from my website: MarleneHemmingsEsq.Info.

Read more
Answered on 5/29/13, 12:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Kentucky

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now