Legal Question in Criminal Law in Louisiana

Say someone's criminal record says they had an out-of-state conviction in Alaska in 1990. Does this mean that they could've been living anywhere else, say Louisiana, in 1990, or would they have had to be in Alaska at some point in that year?

Someone I know might have a serious criminal record that I wasn't aware of, and the answer to this will help me determine that.

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

The fact that he was convicted in Alaska proves only that the case was prosecuted in that state. It says nothing about where the defendant lived. If you fly to Alaska next week for a vacation and commit a crime while you're there, you will be prosecuted there and not in your home state. Statistically, though, most people convicted of crimes in Alaska courts are surely Alaska residents.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Louisiana