Legal Question in Discrimination Law in Maryland

I recently went in to a 7eleven store I frequently visited for the past year. The clerk accused me of stealing a $1.99 cup which had I brought in with me & she kept going at it over and over. This is the same clerk that charged me twice once before for a cup of coffe but I let that go & did not make a big deal of it. It was so embarassing beacuse there were other people in the store & it is across from my work & I was a bit rude to her. My question is: Is this grounds to sue? I felt humiliated.

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

If she accused you of stealing in front of people, you may have a claim for defamation (slander).

Nevertheless, you should simply stop going into that store. Why give your money to a store like that, it doesn't make sense?

TWO OFFICES IN MARYLAND

Bethesda (301)678-3725

Baltimore (410)635-4122

More Other Discrimination Law (Age, Race, Sex, Gender) questions and answers in Maryland