Maryland  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/06/13, 8:40 am

I am the biological father of a 2 yr old resulting from a one-night fling. (Yes, I know, please hold the judgment) I recently was brought into court for a dna test, found to be the father and ordered to pay support, which I do, no problem. I do not want to be involved with the kid for various reasons. I have not met this child, other than seeing the kid at the dna appointment and that was for about 3 minutes. The mother and I did not speak, nothing. Anyway, I'm now finding out she filed custody papers. I already spent a bunch of money on the paternity filing for a lawyer to make sure everything was done right and lost 2 days off work for the testing date and court date to go over support. I am not interested in going back to court or paying more money - especially since the lawyer told me I was wrong for not wanting to be involved with the kid at all. I haven't been served yet but know it's been filed. And my address is listed as 'unknown' in the filing. She knows where I live, since I obviously got served for the support case. Anyway...IF I happen to get served, do I need to go to court? She knows I don't want custody or any visitation. I haven't had any contact. Or do I need a lawyer to address it ahead of time or contact her and say look he doesn't want any contact you can have sole custody? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search