Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

My husband is bring his two daughters from Ghana. There natural mother will be in Ghana. There ages are 11 and 5. What rights will I have to make decision on their behalf in the US? What type of "power of attorney" or "custody documents" can be estblished so that I can do things like make meidcal or educational decisions?

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

I assume you aren't considering adoption as an option. If you can get the mother to sign a paper granting you guardianship for the purposes you mentioned, your husband and you can file a petition for co-guardianship in court and it should go through smoothly. If she won't, you can still file the court petition, but you would have to serve the papers on the mother and she could contest it if she wants.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland