Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Hello my name is Joshua and I have a son named jack I am 18 and my baby mother will not let me see my son unless she is there. I am on probation and am doing good and about to get off. But I'm afraid if I go get custody I will lose my son. But i am in a relationship with another girl and about to get married to this girl but my baby mom is causing problems. Is there a way I can get custody?

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

From the facts you presented, it is quite unlikely that you can get custody, unless you can demonstrate that it would be in the best interests of the baby to live with you than with his mother. However, you are entitled to have a relationship with your son by way of visitation rights. You also have a duty to support your son by making monthly support payments which will be determined by your income and that of the mother if she's employed. If you want to be able to spend time outside the presence of the mother, you will need to file a court petition, which will probably also result in a court order for support.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland