Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Massachusetts

My landlord illegally withheld my apartment security deposit when I moved out (apartment in Massachusetts). I sued him and now have a judgement from MA small claims court against him for the amount. He declared chapter 11 bankruptcy. Can my legal judgement against him be discharged as unsecured debt (or in any other way) in chapter 11?

Asked on 1/06/13, 1:17 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Andersen Charles Andersen, Atty
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Bankruptcy Answers To have a secured debt, you usually have to go one step farther than to obtain a judgment. You need to record your judgment in the county clerks office where the property is located prior to the bankruptcy. Otherwise you're just an unsecured creditor.

Read more
Answered on 1/06/13, 1:25 pm
Steven Striffler Steven R. Striffler Attorney At Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes; however, you may have a claim to contest whether the debt is dischargable. Feel free to give me a call. 617-290-1573.

Read more
Answered on 1/11/13, 12:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Massachusetts

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now