Massachusetts  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/10/13, 5:07 pm

I'm being taken to court for a credit card debt, by an attorney/collection company other than the original company I owe the money to. I spent my retirement savings trying to pay it off. I can't afford an attorney. From the wording of the affidavit in the complaint, the attorney does not have the original signed credit agreement, a charge/payment accounting, and possibly not the transfer of debt document. Would it be better to wait until the actual court appearance to ask for these documents, hoping they will be less prepared? Or do I have to ask for them in my answer? The credit card company probably did everything legally, but they were distasteful in the ways they manipulated interest rates after my default.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search