Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

It is a commercial building. I am in unit 2. 3 months ago people from unit 1 came ask if they can go in my basement to fix something. I said that it's ok. They made holes on the wall, moved my electrical box, and installed pipes without asking my permission. I was mad and came complain them. They denied it. I told them from now on they are not allow to have access to my basement. They threat me that they will call the landlord and the landlord will let them in. I don't think so. What do you think?

Desperately,

Thuy

James Thomas Kinder Law Office of James Thomas Kinder

Thank you for posting your question.

From the facts you provided, it appears several things may be at play here:

1. You stated that it was your basement: if that is the case, and hey merely asked to enter to "fix" something, and actually ended up causing damages, then you may have an action for destruction of property and trespass against them.

2. They threatened you? I am a little confused as you stated that the basement was yours. Do you own the basement, or are you entilted to it's sole use as a tenant? If it is yours under a lease, then the Landlord cannot let them in without your permission.

I guess I would need a few more facts to provide a thorough explaination of your rights.

I hope this helped in some way. Please let me know.

Best of luck to you.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms