Michigan  |  DUI Law

Was arrested for dui and released on personal bond 6 years ago. Never sent a court notice. How can i get the case dismissed or dropped?

Answered on: 7/14/12, 6:02 pm by Jeffrey S. Kaplan

Unfortunately this is not something you make go away. If all it took was the defendant not showing up in court and claiming the court didn't send a notice, everyone would do it. There is probably a warrant out for your arrest and you WILL have to respond to it. If not, it will hang over your head for the rest of your life or until you get pulled over by the police and the warrant turns up on a background check.

This may sound condescending, but it's for your benefit, so pay attention: courts don't take kindly to the "It's-Not-My-Fault-You-Guys-Screwed-Up-And-Didn't-Do-Your-Jobs" defense. You knew you were arrested and charged with DUI. You knew you were released on personal bond. You knew you needed to show up in court again. If too much time had passed and you hadn't heard from the court, you could have contacted the court to find out when your next court date was.

So for your own benefit, don't go to court and try to clear this up yourself. Contact a lawyer immediately and get advice based on the specifics of your case. Better you handle this on your own terms than to show up in court because you got pulled over and arrested. I'm available for a free consultation.

All the best.

Law Office of Jeffrey S. Kaplan, PLLC 4301 Orchard Lake Road, Suite 180, #114 West Bloomfield, MI 48323