Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

Child Custody

On my wife's divorce order, my stepson is mandated to attend school in the district of his fathers home 200 miles away. Here in Michigan it is still legal to quit school at 16 years old, can he overule the court order and quit school there and start school here after he turns 16? There is nothing stating where he is to live and both parents have joint legal and physical custody. I personnally have never heard of such a crazy divorce order, Thank you

Jack Jaffe Legal Center of Jack L. Jaffe

Re: Child Custody

I would be glad to assist you however I would need to review the Judgment of Divorce first. Please give me a call to discuss further.

248.588.2297. Thank you.

Lesley Hoenig Lesley A. Hoenig, Attorney at Law

Re: Child Custody

Based on what you said, I assume the father has custody of the child? I think the best way to handle this would be to modify custody. I don't think having the kid just quit school in order to switch schools is going to cut it and could cause issues for your wife as far as the court order is concerned.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan