Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Michigan

My father has passed, i am now the owner of the property. My father had a line of credit on the house, my question is am i legally under obligation to pay back the loan? Could they foreclose on the house if its not paid for?

Asked on 8/14/12, 4:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glenn Matecun Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You have two questions:

(1) Are you legally obligated to pay back your father's home loan? No, you are not, unless you signed the promissory note.

(2) Can the lender foreclose if the loan is not paid? Generally, yes. This is assuming that your father was the sole owner of the home at the time he acquired the loan.

Here is what I am assuming happened, in this order: Your father owned the home. He received a loan that was secured by the home. And then he quitclaimed the home to the two of you, as joint tenants with rights of survivorship. In that case, if the loan is not paid, the lender can foreclose.

If you owned the property at the time of your father's loan (and the deed was recorded), you would have been required to sign the mortgage or the mortgage would not be valid.

Think of it this way. The lien (mortgage) follows the house, not the person. If you could avoid the mortgage and debt by deeding the property to someone else and then dying, the banks would never collect on a loan because everyone would deed their homes to someone else right before they died.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Glenn R. Matecun

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 8/14/12, 4:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Michigan

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now