Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

Extradition from other states

I was on probation for a gross misdemeanor and then absconded. Can I be extradited from another state

Asked on 12/10/01, 1:52 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Extradition from other states

You may be extradited. In most cases, a warrant will issue for your arrest which will be placed on a national database. If you are stopped for any reason by law enforcement, the warrant is likely to appear.

Read more
Answered on 12/10/01, 3:59 pm
Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Extradition from other states

Can you be extradited from another state, after leaving and failing to maintain contact with your probation officer? Yes, it can be done. Many prosecutors offices and-or courts, will cause an arrest warrant (or equivalent) to be issued, but will decide not to spend the money on extradition of a probationer from another state, if the crime of conviction is less than a felony, or not egregious enough to justify the expense. You could check with a criminal defense lawyer in the county and state where you were convicted, to inquire of the normal policy in that county.

Read more
Answered on 12/10/01, 5:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now