Legal Question in Elder Law in Minnesota

Guardianship of parent

My mother has dementia. She refuses to move to an assisted living residence. If someone gets guardianship of her what is that persons obligations if any for any bills she has or may incur? She is on Medical Assistance. Would any of that have to be paid back after she passes on?

Asked on 5/02/09, 4:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Kaufman Jensen Sondrall & Persellin, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Guardianship of parent

A conservatorship might be appointed in this case. The guardian/conservator's responsibility would be to pay the bills using the money in the mother's estate.

If Medical Assistance is owed money they could make a claim against the estate once she passes on.

Read more
Answered on 5/05/09, 12:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now