Legal Question in Legal Ethics in Minnesota

We own a small Chiropractic Clinic in MN. We have used a small outside billing company to bill out insurance claims for our clinic. We noticed the lady doing the billing was "missing" alot of things and costing our clinic money, so we brought the billing back to our clinic. Now she has over 4 years of records (accout receivables etc.) that she refuses to get to us until she receives payment for her services. Our intent is to pay her, however we need to see our records so we can "deduct" the monies she lost us by not doing her job. Do we have to pay her to get our records back?

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

To properly answer your question, I myself would want to learn many more details by conferring with you privately. Regarding the situation you describe, it sounds as though you may have numerous possible paths of action. I recommend that you choose an attorney to advise you. In choosing, I suggest you make several phone calls, because it is so important that you feel a sense of great trust. I note to you that you should act without any delay because you certainly can lose certain rights irrevocably if you do not act in a timely manner.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates

Phone 612-296-9666 every day of the year until 8 p.m. daily

Minnesota attorneys

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in Minnesota