Mississippi  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/27/13, 3:29 am

my ex and I have a 2 yr old son she asked me to come get him she has noplace to live because her grandparents kicked her out .she is pregnant with another child and the babys daddy is wanted in Arkansas on a meth charge .she is staying with her mom who has been arresterd several times on crack charges . im worred about my son . I moved to Biloxi ms from olive branch ms about 5 months ago . I was told I need to be here 6 months before filing custody papers. can I file emergency tempary custody.and if I can how do I do it

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/03/13, 7:34 am by Albert Pettigrew

A custody petition would have to be filed in the child's home state, and the parties can agree to custody, visitation, and support, subject to approval by the court. Under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Acts, the child's home state is generally where he has resided for the greater part of the last six months. An emergency petition can be filed any time in the jurisdiction where the child may be located.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices Ph 228-875-8736 401 Inverness Ct. Ocean Springs, MS 39564

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search