Legal Question in Family Law in Mississippi

I have a child going into kindergarten next year and the public school district I live in is not very good so I am wanting to put him in a private school. His father (whom I was never married to) is telling me he does not want him in a private school. We have joint legal custoday and I have primary physical custody. I am not asking him to pay for the school. I am willing to pay for it myself. Do I have to go back before a judge in order for me to put him in private school?

Timothy Matusheski Law Offices of Timothy J. Matusheski

It depends on what the order says about the father's rights to object to the child's school, or any other issue pertaining to the child. Usually, however, a joint legal custodian father does not have the right to pick the child's school.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Mississippi