Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Missouri

Can a contractor call my cell phone continuously, even when I am at work, trying to collect a debt when I have already explained my wife lost her job and I will take care of it just as soon as I can?

Is it true if I pay what I can each month, making a sincere attempt to pay it, his calls are then considered harassment?

In the state of Missouri, if I offer a business owner/contractor money to pay on my debt and he refuses to take it because he wants the full amount, is the debt considered Paid. This was true in 1960's but does that law still exist?

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Your assumption is a common misunderstanding of Missouri law. The creditor is not bound to accept anything less that the total amount owed. But, if you tell the collector not to call anymore, they cannot. If they do, they may be liable to you for much more than you owe the creditor. You should document your instruction not to call anymore, with a letter. Keep a copy of the letter.

Good luck

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Missouri

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms