Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Missouri

I lost my job ten months ago and owe a credit card debt. The debt was turned over to a collection agency and they call all day everyday. i talked to them and tried to set up a plan where i would make monthly payments with money orders. they would not accept this because they said i had to have a bank account which i do not have.If i have tried to pay them and they won't accept. is it legal for them to keep harrassing me on the daily basis because they won't take my payment? the collection agency is located in new york

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Depending upon your credit card agreement, the creditor may not be required to accept partial payments. They prefer to have an access to draw directly from your bank account. However, I hav ento heard of a collection attorney that refuses to accept payemtns that are sent to them. They take partial payments all the time. your payments (if less than what is owed) may not prevent the credit card company from filing suit agaisnt you in Missouri. But, regular payments of at least $50 per month generally discourage filing suit, if they believe you are temporarily unemployed or underemployed.

Good luck.

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Missouri

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms