Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

My daughter is 13 and dislikes her biological father very much. She has asked my husband to adopt her. He agreed. Our custody agreement is joint. My daughter has heard from other people that since she's 13 and such she wants to make the decision. But doesn't ever want to see her dad again. There's reasons sort but nothing violent or abusive. What should I do. She cries and throws a fit and nags him to drive him crazy until he let's her come home or she refuses to go at all. I can't afford an attorney and he was being a jerk and said if that's what she wants give him five grand and he will sign over rights to my husband.

Asked on 10/18/13, 10:11 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you're unwilling to pay him, you will need to deal with the drama got a few more years. Bee careful what you say fyi your daughter. Otherwise, your ex may be able to convince a Court that you're encouraging the conflict between father and daughter.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 10/19/13, 12:46 pm
Mel Franke Mel G. Franke, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your husband can only adopt under three circumstances:

1. biological father consents

2. biological father has abandoned

3. biological father has neglected.

If none of these exist, it can't be done

Read more
Answered on 10/21/13, 8:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now