Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

Can I legally change my child's last name without the father's consent?

My ex and I were married at the time of the birth but divorced shortly thereafter. He was incarcerated at the time of the divorce. I chose to give our son the father's last name. He has never been a constant in his life w/ the exception of the occasional child support check that is not a constant either. I have been re-married (almost 14 years) to a wonderful man that my son considers ''dad''. He understands that he has a biological father but obviously feels more connected to my husband since he's been his father figure for the last 14 years. My son is 16 and has recently requested that we try to get his last name changed to the last name of my husband and I. Can I legally change his last name to my husband's last name without my ex's consent? If so, how do I go about this?

Asked on 3/11/09, 8:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Can I legally change my child's last name without the father's consent?

If you file a Petition for a Name Change on your son, you will need to serve the biological father and he can file his objection and testify in Court against it. It will be up to the Judge to grant he Name Change or not.

Read more
Answered on 3/11/09, 11:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now