Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Missouri

My partner and I purchased a home in October for $68,000.00 with his parents as co-signers. We have rehabbed the home under a construction loan totaling $250,000.00. I would like to be bought out of the home due to the escalated mortgage costs. The home is now worth $350K +... Can I ask for a new appraisal of the home and get 50% of its value?

Asked on 6/27/12, 2:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If the coowner agrees, you can get your 50%. But, based upon the facts you describe, there seems no mechanism for you to force the other owner to give you a certain amount. You can petition the court to partition the property. Basically, the property would be sold at auction, and you and the other owner would split the remaining debt (if it sells for less than the totla owed) or the proceeds. this would also give theother owner the option tobuy you out, if you two can agree at an amount. Be aware, tha t even if you agree to take some money from the other owner in exchange for a deed of your interest, it probably will not release you from your obligation on the loans

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 6/30/12, 8:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Missouri

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now